Winter seasonal IPAs are a delightful twist on the popular IPA style, combining the grain bill of Belgian Witbier with American hops. This unique combination creates a flavorful and refreshing beer that pairs the wheat base of Witbier with the citrusy notes of American hops. With its robust and aromatic profile, a winter IPA is the perfect companion for chilly evenings. 🍻❄️
Style: India Pale Ale
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Recipe Type: Extract with grain
Recipe Contributed By: Briess Technical Services Team
|3 lbs||CBW® Pilsen Light DME||60 min boil|
|3 lbs||CBW® Bavarian Wheat DME||0 min boil|
|1 lb||Wheat Malt, White||Steeping Grain|
|0.5 lb||Briess Insta Grains® Oat Flakes||Steeping Grain|
|0.5 lb||Caramel Vienne Malt 20L||Steeping Grain|
|1 oz||Simcoe® Hops (13% AAU)||60 min boil|
|1 oz||CitraTM (12% AAU)||10 min boil|
|2 oz||CitraTM (12% AAU)||5 min boil|
|2 oz||CitraTM (12% AAU)||0 min boil|
|2 packs||WLP051 California Ale V Yeast||Fermenter|
|1 capsule||Servomyces Yeast Nutrient||10 min boil|
- Bring 2.5 gallons of water to 154ºF and steep grains for 30 minutes.
- Remove grains, and stir in 3 lbs CBW® Pilsen Light DME.
- Bring water to a boil, add 1 oz of Simcoe hops.
- After 50 minutes, add 1 oz of Citra hops and yeast nutrient.
- Boil 5 more minutes and add 2 oz Citra hops.
- Turn heat off and add 2 oz Citra hops.
- Stir to dissolve 3 lbs Briess CBW® Bavarian Wheat Dry Malt Extract.
- Cool beer to 70ºF. Transfer to fermenter, Fill to 5 gallons with water.
- Pitch two packs of White Labs WLP051 California V yeast.
Primary Fermentation: 1 week at 66ºF - 70ºF
Secondary Fermentation: 2 weeks at 66ºF - 70ºF.
Fermentation Notes: Force carbonate or bottle condition with ¾ cup dissolved priming sugar, and ¼ packet WLP051 yeast for 3-4 weeks.
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.015
Alcohol by Weight:
Alcohol by Volume: 6%