iGulu without the cloud

• I am a strictly no-cloud kind of person, but I still like to collect my data.

Long story short, my iGulu now sends it's live data to my home server, and I can follow the progress in fancy graphs:

And not so fancy (yet) mobile live view:

Maybe someone finds it interresting :)

• How? I can't even get it to tell my connected phone what it's doing. 

• @Nova 

What tool are you using for gathering the data, and what tool are you using to display it?

I tried an SNMP scan but did not find any data coming out.

• @Halaster I suspect that iGulu don't like it if I go to deep into the details.

But the machine pushes MQTT data to the cloud. So what I did was redirect that data in my firewall to my local mqtt server that I use for other smart home things.

Presure and temp is sendt every 5 minutes, while phase, elapsed and remaning times are pushed every hour.

• Well, you have my attention. 
    This is great.

• Yep, if it has data that can actually be read and displayed on our own monitoring servers that is great.

I do not imagine they would mind sharing this information, as they have been pretty open with anything people have asked or shared. I do not think they have any rules about sharing this sort of information.

Best case would be if they just supplied it directly.

• I have had a few messages on this.

The problem is that my solution requires above average network knowledge and equitment.

So I am considering making a raspberry pi software for this to help other achive the same.

Then you can also have the option to send the data to cloud as well as local, so the original app can also be used in parallell.

Might look into it this weekend, sounds like a fun project.

• @Nova Down the rabbit hole I go... if only I was a software engineer.

• @Nova After thinking about this a bit, you certainly could create the iGulu equivalent of a Tilt interface that exists right now with the Tilt Hydrometer. They have a raspberry pi buster that grabs their MQTT  telemetry.

• Depends on what people need, and keep in mind I do have a working system myself :)

It's not much data available from the igulu, but I find it fun to plot the progress in a graph.

There is several ways to achive this.

For they who have a "smart home" and uses mqtt for other stuff, the easiest method is to use a cheap wifi router with firewall capabilities (like mikrotik mAP lite that is one of my favorites). It can create a seperate wifi for your igulu, while also being connected to your normal wifi (or using cable). Then it's a simple config to have it redirect mqtt traffic to your own server.

For the Pi route I would configure an image that acts like a wireless AP, intercepts the traffic and hosts the needed software with a simple web interface that shows graphs of the data. Then it would be up to others to add more functionallity.

As of now I only have one way data. So I can't do custom receipies or control the machine remotly. I guess I will look at that when I get the master mode card. So far I have not had the need since it's easy enough to select the mode from screen.

• I did not even think of that. Can run the app on Bluestacks and wireshark the traffic coming from it to see what is coming from the app to the machine to control the pressure, and recipies and so on since I have master mode.

• So this was interresing. Since iGulu does not use authentication on their mqtt messages, anyone can see every machines data. Thats "fun", i love the cloud...

A small collection.

• Interesting info, and could put togther some really informative graphs on how the machines are being used and perform in mass across all owners if someone wanted to.

Luckily none of that data appears to be anything with actual user data like serial numbers, or personal informaiton, and is just brewing information.

• Yeah just blured the column with the mac address. Not that I see it as personal info ,but some might.

• I made this for fun https://brewmonitor.info/brew.php It was a 10 minutes effort so there is a lot to be desired :)
    It will only work if your device is currently in fermenting mode, only shows temperature and pressure and don't have a lot of history yet.
    Also, it's in my timezone and in Celsius (for now).

It's an experiement, so no guaranties.

• @Nova, Thanks for your brewmonitor, it is very neat. Apart from looking at the Igulu mqqtt data,  I am also interested in capturing data from commerical temperature\humidity sensors  that I have around my home. i'd be very interested in knowing more about how you capture packets from known mac addresses and if you have  been doing anything more with the igulu mqtt data?.

• Hi Nova,

We want to extend our sincere thanks for discovering and bringing the system bug to our attention. Your post is invaluable to us as we continue to improve our product.

Our software and system are undergoing continuous enhancements, with many new features planned for future updates. Your help has allowed us to address this issue more effectively, ensuring our product performs at its best. User data privacy is very important and we only handle the data necessary for the machine to function properly within the app.

Looking ahead, we are considering the possibility of adding more features and may even explore some form of open-source collaboration in the future. While this is still under discussion, we are eager to find new ways for our community to contribute and engage. Your insights and suggestions are always welcome as we continue to shape the product experience.

Thank you again for your support, and we look forward to staying connected!

• @Shu No worries. And as mentioned I dont see the mqtt data as a privacy issue, since there is no sensitive data beeing shared.

My only consern is that one might send commands to other peoples machines, but I have not looked into that since my machine is busy brewing all the time :)

If you close this "exploit" in the future I hope you will make a way for user to get the data directly from the machine. I would suggest letting the esp have a webserver and serve the current data as a json. That would be so awsome to have.

• I second the request to make the data available if you "fix" this bug.

It is nice to have access to the data outside of just the app, as there appears to be no sensitive data currently. 

Even if it is only provided for folks with Master Mode.

• @Nova Yes, I agree with your concern. It shall be fixed.

• 1 / 2